Home / Academics / Inclusion
- To develop the maximum potential of the child with special needs to enable him / her to become self-reliant and shall be geared towards providing him / her with the opportunities for a full and happy life. The Policy objective of Special Education is to provide a conducive learning environment for students with Special Educational Needs (SEN), so as to facilitate their education, help them develop their potential to the full, enhance their independence and enable them to become well-adjusted individuals in the community.
- Special Education is the practice of educating students in a way that addresses their individual differences and needs. Ideally, this process involves the individually planned and systematically monitored arrangement of teaching, procedures, adapted equipment and materials and accessible settings. These interventions are designed to help individuals with special needs, achieve a higher level of personal self-sufficiency and success in school and in their community which may not be available if the student were only given access to a typical classroom education. The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act ( IDEA ) gives eligible children with disabilities the right to receive special services and assistance in school.
- APS Barrackpore includes Inclusive Education,a system of education wherein students with and without disability learn together and the system of teaching and learning is suitably adapted to meet the learning needs of different types of students with disabilities.
- Students with academic difficulties are identified.
- Students are counselled and root causes of such issues are identified.
- In need, parents are also counselled.
- For further interventions students are referred for IQ test and psychometric assessment.
- Students with learning disabilities are referred to special educator.
HEALTH AND WELLNESS FACILITY:
Following are some the common adolescent’s issues in the school which comes under the umbrella of mental health problems:
- Internet Addiction
- Physical and Sexual Abuse
- Parental Expectation and Pressure
- Peer Pressure
- Drug Addiction
- Lack of Concentration
- Poor Self Esteem and Lack of Confidence
- Behavioural Issues like lack of Gratitude, Empathy, Respect etc
- Truancy from School and Home
- Mood Swings
- Inability to deal with Failure: Non Resilient
- Performance Anxiety
So for better school climate and for better all-round development the following measures are undertaken
(a) The talk of the day is one of the integral part of the morning assembly. It is deliberated on any topic. In this attempt the child builds up his or her communication skills, confidence, and self-esteem.
(b) Orientation Programme with Parents of Primary, Secondary and Higher Secondary children to make them aware about the parenting strategies to be applied at each phase. These orientation programmes also helps parents to make themselves aware what school expects from them and how school is going to help them.
(c) Various co-scholastic and sports activities gives the platform to the child to develop Educational value, Psychological Values, Development of Social Values, Development of Civic Values ,Physical Development Values, Recreational Values ,Cultural Values as well as also to channelize their energy in an constructive manner.
(d) Through various hobby clubs school tries to fabricate the inner virtues and endowments within the child and also helps them to channelize their inner conflicts and anxieties in a constructive manner.
(e) School conduct various workshops for the teachers on different topics like psychological issues among different age group children, how to handle them, inclusive education etc. As an significant and integral part of workshops, counsellors has provided Referral Forms to the teachers for the early screening of problems among children ,where they can report about the behavioural problems of the child to the counsellors with the view to minimize the mental health issues as early possible
(f) School conducts Adolescence Sex Education Programme from class VI to X through workshops to make the students aware about Adolescence Issues.
(g) The School also arranges workshops for the students of Classes I to XII to disseminate the information on Good Touch, Bad Touch, Safety Circle, E-BOX, and Childline Number under the POCSO ACT 2012, as it is mandatory for every level to minimize the risk of Sexual and Physical Abuse.
(h) Different workshops were conducted for the students which can help students to achieve success in their academic environment by putting certain skills into practice, which includes topics like Dealing with failure: Resilience, 21st Century Skills, Employability Skills, Soft Skills, Stress Management, Time Management etc.
(i) In this fast changing life most students find it difficult to cope with daily hassles, conflicts which automatically lead to lot of mental pressure and affect all round development of the child. To resolve this issue to great extent students should know about skills and to get proper guidance school has arranged life skills classes for primary, secondary and senior secondary wings. Through these classes students gets a platform for their social and emotional learning also.